Did you know, snoring can cause your health trouble in the long run? Yes, it’s true! Many people disregard snoring as unimportant. However, this could be dangerous to your health in the long term. If you care about your health, then be sure to talk to an expert about sleep apnea, so you can get it treated before serious problems can occur.
Our doctor, Dr. Jonathan E. Quillian, is happy to help you with your sleep apnea concerns. In fact, our team at Culebra North Dental Care in San Antonio, Texas, is thrilled to give you a list of reasons that can trigger sleep apnea, so you know if this could be happening to you.
Obstructive sleep apnea, also known as OSA, is a severe condition that affects your breathing while you are sleeping. Most people disregard this condition, but this condition is hazardous because it restricts the airflow in your body and can lead to other dangerous conditions that should not be ignored.
Although OSA can happen to adults and children, there are several factors to consider that significantly progress your chances of having it. Here are a few of the increased risk factors for triggering obstructive sleep apnea:
– Age: Obstructive sleep apnea is most common in people over the age of forty.
– Alcohol: Alcohol is notorious for relaxing your body and muscles, including your throat and airway passages.
– Smoking: Smoking tobacco will cause inflammation and irritate your airway, even if you don’t feel it usually.
– Men: Men have a more extensive chance of developing this disorder than women do according to several medical studies.
– Narrowed airway: Enlarged tonsils, congestion, or a naturally slender throat can cause this condition.
– Additional weight: Fat deposits around your throat and upper airway can make it problematic for you to breath at night.
If you have questions about your sleep apnea, or if you would like to be checked for it, please call us today at 210-761-5452 to schedule an appointment. Our team of experts is happy to help you with your sleep apnea troubles.